Facing the building of Visaginas Municipality Administration, on a high stela stands the bird rising to the floating clouds with its wings widely-spread – the first symbol of the city. Visaginas is a satellite of one of the most powerful power plants in the world, thus, the crane depicted in the coat of arms of the city has for a long time been a symbol of prudence and vigilance.
|Memorial Stone of the City
The construction of the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant stimulated the development of the plans of a new city. In the summer of 1975, the builders of the power plant brought a huge stone and put it near the first block of apartments. The shape of the stone for many reminds the territory of Lithuania. This stone became a cornerstone of the city and the day when it was brought (10 August) was declared the city birthday.
|Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant
For more information about the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant and its history, visit the Information Centre of the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant located at Drūkšinių Village, Visaginas Municipality.
The Information Centre is open on working days from 8:00 to 16:00. You have to inform about your visit in advance by calling: (8 386) 29 911, 29 719, 31 998, 24 063.
This is the first private aquaria exposition of such scale in Lithuania. The area of 140 sq. m. exhibits eleven aquaria of 600 l, three aquaria of 700 l and twelve aquaria of 80-180 l capacity. The aquaria are home for more than 60 species of freshwater tropical fish, where they dwell, grow and breed.
The address – Jaunystės str. 21, Visaginas
Phone No. 8 (686) 15 021
You will feel a live spirit of traditions with the first step into the museum – a real samogitian’s cottage and their daily routine. There is an antique bed, a table and chairs, books, a bedcover with the most beautiful patterns woven and a cradle for a baby. The museum is located in Verdenės Secondary School, address: Taikos av. 21, Phone No. 8 (386) 72 758.
|The Grave of the World War II Victims in Taikos Avenue and Kosmoso Crossroad
It was in 1984 when the remains of four soldiers were excavated in the surroundings of Liaudenų Village (Visaginas Municipality) and transferred to the current location. Their identities are not known. In 1996, under the initiative of the World War II veterans of the City a project was drafted and in 1998 a brick stela was erected with the inscription “1939−1945”.
|Visaginas St. Paul’s Church
The construction works of the church began in 1995; major works were completed until 2001. That is a modern building with a quadrangular belfry.
Address: Santarvės str. 1, Visaginas
|Visaginas St. Panteleimon Orthodox Church
The construction works began in 1993 and in 2001 it was reconstructed into an orthodox church named after a martyr and doctor Panteleimon since it is one of the most celebrated saints for Orthodox believers; according to the priest, many people in the City need help of both earthly and heavenly doctors.
Address: Taikos av. 4, Visaginas
|Visaginas Orthodox Church of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist
This orthodox church is a modern building. This is a two-storey brick building that was built in 1992. The location of the church is easy to reach for parishioners since the church is located among blocks of apartments. It is the place of public worship and baptism ceremonies for parishioners.
Address: Sedulinos av. 73 A, Visaginas